Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Solstice - Already?

It seems as if the equinox was just a few weeks ago, but this afternoon the earth and sun reach the point of the Winter Solstice for the northern hemisphere and the Summer Solstice for our friends Down Under. I rarely wish for time to speed by, but it would be okay with me if the time to the next equinox passes as quickly. 

This year winter is announcing its entrance with tomorrow's high temperature a degree or two below the freezing mark and the overnight low (tomorrow night) at -8F (that's -22C to the rest of the world)! Friday's daytime high will be around 4F (-15C). 
The temperature will fall below the freezing line around 10 o'clock tonight and won't crest that mark again until sometime Monday afternoon. We're expecting a little light snow tomorrow, but I doubt we'll have a white Christmas. The high winds and dry air will probably take care of the little bit of snow.

I've committed to being here throughout the winter, but I'm thinking I need to start planning for an early springtime tropical trip. I'd even be happy with a Gulf coast trip here in the US. The trick will be to avoid the college spring break crowds.

I suppose I can spin the old saying and choose to find joy in the coming winter. If I choose not to find the joy, I'll still have the winter, but without joy. This is going to take some work!

Have a joyous Winter Solstice!

John

No comments: