Friday, December 23, 2022

Long night; short day.

It's only fitting that I had a long night and a short day on the day that the rest of the Northern hemisphere did, as well. Because of the weather and extreme cold, Chris opted out of her early shift at the shelter yesterday. One other volunteer also couldn't make it in. I went in early to cover part of Chris's setup shift and then worked my own 12 hours, plus a little bit at the end. There were just three of us in the evening, two of us overnight, and three again in the early morning. 

Our volunteer staff is the best!
The overnight isn't usually tough work, just long with enough drama that it isn't boring.
And the guests are mostly cooperative and gracious.

After nearly 16 hours of working and 5 hours of sleep, I'm up and getting a few things done before heading back for my normal 12 hour overnight.
Geez! It's almost like having a job!

The thing is -- the guy I worked the overnight with had spent the entire previous day working on arrangements to add temporary emergency shelters to house the unsheltered community during the extreme cold. Then, along with others that had worked all day, he and those other tireless workers worked all night (or at least late into the night) getting people to and caring for them in shelters across the city.
It has been an amazing accomplishment.

One guy, a newly homeless guy was so thankful for having a place to stay. This morning he repeated his gratitude and said that we had truly saved people's lives last night. It's true. Many people that would have normally braved the elements were looking for shelter for themselves and their pets. 
Our normal open for the night shelter has been open all day today. Additional volunteers have stepped up and given part of their holiday preparation time to serve others in the community. I'll be back again tonight and more people will be there for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. 

In a very real way, it is fitting that we are making room and providing care for others on this most sacred holiday. Many smaller churches have joined the effort by opening their buildings to house unsheltered persons. I am a little (okay, a lot) disappointed that none of the larger, evangelical churches or Catholic churches have joined in the effort to meet the needs this weekend. I trust that they have their reasons.

I say this over and over again -- The team of people that I get to serve with are the best! I am a much better person when I am around them and influenced by them.

All right. I've got things to do before getting to it again.
I am happy that the nights are going to be getting shorter and the days, longer. Spring cannot get here soon enough!

John

No comments: