Monday, December 05, 2022

The Simple Life

I'm enjoying a cup of good coffee (Ethiopian) next to our ventless gas fireplace after a good night's sleep in my own bed. It's true -- I'd rather be sitting outside, looking at the ocean from a tropical beach or balcony, but this isn't too bad.
I don't know if there is a great difference between content and happy, but I am definitely content this morning.   

I know that I'm not too motivated to do anything today, so I'm going to enjoy the moment and worry about motivation later. 

What are the simple things in life that you enjoy?
Even though I do like an occasional lunch with a friend or meet for coffee, most of the simple things I enjoy seem to be things that I enjoy in solitude:  reading a book, enjoying a good cigar, sipping bourbon, listening to music, taking a ride on the motorcycle, etc.  
I enjoy watching MMA fighting, baseball, hockey, and even soccer, but wouldn't list those things as something that brings me joy or even contentment. They are more just ways to pass time. 

I don't really have any hobbies. I don't have a regular job that I go to. I have no real routine in life and I kind of like it that way. I know that many people need structure and routine to get by from day to day. I'm pretty happy that I'm not one of them,
Maybe life for you is better if it is busy and complex.
Maybe your preference isn't for a simple life.
Maybe you are one of those people that have to be moving and doing to be happy -- making a do list and checking things off one by one until it's completed.

So...
What are the things in life that make you happy?
Do that.

John

No comments: