Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Healthy Perk

If you google "health benefits of volunteering" you will see several articles that explore both the physical and mental benefits of volunteering. I've found an additional perk of serving at the shelter -- I walk a lot.
In spite of spending much of the night sitting on my ever widening ass, I am easily hitting 10,000 steps on the days that I am there. It's weird because it mostly happens over the course of a 12 hour shift and it never really feels like I'm doing that much. I know that the bulk of steps happens early while people are checking in and getting snacks,  drinks, and settled in for the night, and again in the morning when they are checking out and we are cleaning up. Because my step counter works on a midnight to midnight timeline, I don't always hit 10,000 steps on the first day of working overnight, but I still manage plenty of walking.

I'm not expecting to hit that today.

John

No comments: