Thursday, December 29, 2022

One Lesson Learned in 2022

It's December 29th and I'm enjoying coffee on the deck this morning! Although I have enclosed the deck with plastic panels, the outdoor temp is 60f (15c) this morning! I would have been out here even without the plastic covered panels.

SWMO is in for a few days of warmer weather to end/begin the year. I fully expect to enjoy a cigar or two over the coming days! The warmer weather also means that my sleep schedule will be back to normal for the next week since the crisis cold weather shelters will likely not be opened. It is weird how often I think about the overnight weather when it isn't cold enough for the crisis cold weather shelters to be opened, but too damn cold or miserable to be sleeping outside. We (the City of Springfield) really do need an all weather shelter for our homeless community. 
I see that Friday night's temperature is now forecast to reach the freezing point. Depending on when that happens (and for how long it will be that cold) determines whether or not the shelters are open. This is one of those times that, although I'd really enjoy having the night off, the shelters need to be open. 
Privilege is less enjoyable when you realize how much others are struggling to survive.

Perhaps that will be my great take away for 2022.
What's yours?

John



 


1 comment:

Mike said...

"What's yours?"
I've got two more days to come up with one, right?