Thursday, December 22, 2022

Passing the Time

How do you pass time when you have time to pass?
Electronics have given us some pretty mindless ways to pass the time - playing games, watching reels, scrolling social media, etc. Even reading has become an electronic habit as I do most of my reading through the Kindle app on my phone. My Kindle reading streak is at 486 consecutive days, with 68 Kindle books read this year. I'll probably finish a couple more, but even by adding in actual paper and ink books I'll have fewer than 80 books read for the year.  

As for games I play - well, I usually have one or two that I play until I get tired of them and then I find a new one. I've been playing cribbage but I'm ready to move on from it. Any suggestions?

I don't watch much TV, but I do have a few shows that I follow and seem to watch an episode or two while staying up overnight at the shelter. Last winter I watched the first three Harry Potter movies but then the shelter season ended and I haven't been back to them. I suppose that watching TV shows and movies is sort of like reading. It's a different way to input stories into your brain; maybe even easier. Personally, I like reading. It does take longer, but I get to use my own imagination in picturing the characters and environment of the story. I think there is more of a connection to both the characters and the authors when reading versus watching. I also believe there is more stimulated brain activity from reading versus watching and I need all the brain help I can get. 
I even prefer reading news (mostly via the internet) versus watching it.

I should spend more time on some physical activity. This old body needs stimulation even more than my brain. I know there are many cyclists, runners, hikers, kayakers, and other outdoor enthusiasts out there. My idea of enjoying the great outdoors is sitting on the beach, smoking a cigar, and enjoying a tequila and lime on ice - not exactly a picture of good health!
I should start walking again, but the current 14f (feels like -7) and light snow isn't conducive to even thinking about outdoor activities!
Maybe next week.

How do you spend your idle time?
Got a show or series to recommend?
What's the go-to time killing game on your phone?

John

It just occurred to me that I didn't even mention getting together with friends for drinks or dinner (or any other activity). That doesn't even cross my mind when thinking about ways to pass the time. In fact, all of the activities I mentioned are things you can do alone. 
Hmmm...



1 comment:

Mike said...

"Electronics have given us some pretty mindless ways to pass the time"
But that's where all my friends are. In the computer! 😁