Tuesday, December 27, 2022

So, how was 2022?

We started the year emerging from the pandemic and dealing with post-pandemic COVID. In the US we were looking forward to the midterm elections and how they might reinforce or begin to tear down the Trumpian influence over the GOP. Worldwide inflation and high gas prices had our attention and the world was watching the Russian invasion of Ukraine which began in February.
It's been quite a year.

In my little corner of the world life has been pretty good.
We managed trips to Colorado Springs and to Puerto Vallarta to see the kids, and Chris made a Canadian trip to visit friends in Nova Scotia. And I managed to make a couple of trips to reconnect with old friends. We enjoy life at home and I am still loving the deck and my quiet time there on most days. I am back to working in the overnight cold weather shelter this season - this time as paid staff rather than as a volunteer. 

I have to admit that I am torn between the need for more to be done for the unsheltered community and the selfish desire to sit on my deck and enjoy my privileged retirement. I am so ashamed that the local and state community does so little for this growing and yet largely invisible segment of the population. 
I am also becoming aware that age and retirement makes these overnight shifts a little more difficult to adjust to and recover from. I may have to reconsider how I help in the future. 

All-in-all, 2022 wasn't a bad year for me.
We survived.
I don't know that we managed to thrive, but we did okay and are in a good place looking forward to 2023, ...but that's another post.

How was your '22?

John

No comments: