Thursday, November 03, 2022

New Twitter

I'm thinking about Twitter and the hub-bub around its purchase by Elon Musk.
I've kept my account and haven't noticed a great deal of difference other than I am seeing fewer tweets from the less conservative news feeds and posters that I follow.

I don't know if it is because they have decided not to use this media or because of a design to limit what I see in the way of more liberal posts. Or maybe it is just an untimely coincidence.
Just an observation.

When I feel like taking the time, I may go to certain sites directly to see if they are posting stuff that just isn't making it to my feed. That would be interesting - free speech says they can post what they want vs ownership saying they'll share certain things less than others.
Hmmm...?

For now I'm not concerned enough to take the time to examine it. Maybe some news feed is already on it.
Admittedly, I am subjected to confirmation bias - leaning into posts that agree with my positions more than those that don't. I do try to be educated about my positions and try not to rely on only a few select sources for information to come to my conclusions, but I imagine most people feel they do the same.

I'll keep my Twitter account for the time being. I'm not going to pay to keep it. I expect there will be more advertising, but that is the cost we all pay for free social media. As with other social media platforms, I have relatively few followers and try to be selective about the accounts I follow. The Musk model of say what ever you want and let the public sort out the truth is too tiresome for me so I fear I may have to abandon Twitter at some point. Differing opinions are one thing; outright lies and purposeful misinformation is another.

Have you noticed any changes in your Twitter feed?
Just wondering.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

I only have a twitter account so that if someone posts something from twitter on FB I can go look at it.