Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Nov 29th; Misery Loves Company... but nobody loves misery.

I don't know if misery truly loves company or not. I do believe that hurting people often need other people to surround them and encourage them. It seems that it is often people that have gone through similar struggles and dealt with similar misery that are the ones that can best empathize and encourage us in our current struggles.
It may be that the day is coming when our current misery will put us in a position to comfort and encourage someone else as they go through a time of trial. 

You have probably had that type of experience of your own -- either you were able to help somebody through a tough time similar to something you've been through, or somebody was able to come along beside you and offer their encouragement. Often times it is enough just knowing that others have gone through a similar trial and survived or even come out of it much stronger and better for the experience.

As other people have come forward to share experiences of being hurt by churches or fellow Christians, I realize how poorly equipped I have been to offer empathy and meaningful encouragement to others. In fact, I'm beginning to think that my non-help may have made their experience even worse.

I suppose this may come across as another negative post. That is not my intent. I've had my negative rants (and resulting consequences) and it is time to move on and begin to look for the silver lining in the otherwise darkened clouds.
Last month I wrote about Unorganized Religion and many people's opposition to organized religion. In comments, conversations and experiences since then, it seems to me that the greatest obstacle to growing the church today is the church, itself. It could be that my current experiences will better equip me to deal with others that have been hurt by or felt isolated by a church or by church people.

Maybe your experience has been dealing with legalism in the church and so you have decided that following Jesus isn't for you. Maybe you feel that Christians are all hypocrites and you don't like nor trust us. It could be that you know that following Jesus would mean you'll have to make some changes that you are unwilling to make. We should talk about that.
It may end up that I will have more opportunities to share my faith across a lunch table or over a cup of coffee than I have ever had from a stage or from a pulpit -- and that would be okay with me.

Misery may love company, but most people would rather be with a joyful person that is having fun and enjoying life. If you are a sour, burdened, legalistic Christian -- lighten up! Jesus said that he came that we would have joy, and have lots of it!
If you are looking for more than a good time; if you are looking for a good life, full of purpose and full of joy -- we should talk.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

"If you are a sour, burdened, legalistic Christian -- lighten up!"

Good luck on getting this point across to the far right wingers.

John A Hill said...

I don't think there are many of them that read this anymore.
Occasional lurkers, but few that would admit it.