Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Road Ready

I suppose it is always good to be prepared for the unexpected little hiccup in your plans.
In the past few weeks there have been three times when I couldn't start my motorcycle with the electronic start and had to push-start it (like popping the clutch on a stick shift car).
Today was the third time ... and tomorrow I'm supposed to be taking a trip!

I called the guy that services my bike, described what's happening and he confirmed what I hoped was the problem -- probably just an old battery that no longer had the power to turn the starter fast enough to engage the engine.

(Btw, if you are in the Ozark area and need a motorcycle mechanic, I highly recommend Spokes Garage. Anthony has been a great help to me as a new motorcycle owner and has been servicing his bikes and his friends' bikes long before he opened his shop.)

When I brought the old battery into the parts place, the guy at the counter said that it had lasted longer than most (3 1/2) years and asked if I used a trickle charger. (Anthony asked the same thing.)
I don't, but it rarely sits more than a day or two without being ridden.

In any case, I have a new battery, I've checked the oil, the tire pressure, and fluid levels, and I am ready to hit the road. November doesn't sound like the ideal time for a motorcycle trip to Chicago, but I think I'll be okay. Tomorrow should be a good day to ride. Sunday -- not so much. There's a 50% chance of light rain and high temps in the mid 40s (that's around 7 for you Celsius folks). I've got rain gear and cold weather gear and some new waterproof gloves, so I think I'll be okay. If it's raining too hard, I'll find a place to stop for awhile.

So, in keeping with my daily black and white photo...
Here she is, all ready to hit the road.


(Definitely not as pretty in b&w)

It's right at 525 miles from driveway to driveway, so I'll be using all of the available daylight.
If you're out on the highways, watch for crazy retired guys that continue to ride their bikes even in mid November!

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

I'll turn daylight savings back on for you tomorrow. You can thank me later.

John A Hill said...

I had no idea I had such powerful friends!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A neat machine!