Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Nov 14; mini rant

A rainy fall day in the Ozarks may keep me from getting any riding in today. That's okay. The bike could use a good cleaning after my weekend ride and a day of riding in the rain.
On the bright side, it will also keep me from having to rake leaves today...and tomorrow. Maybe by the weekend it will be dry enough to get them up.

Most of you know that I am not a winter fan. After a weekend trip to Chicago where there was a bit of snow on the ground, I am already looking forward to spring.
And it's not even Thanksgiving yet!
We have already booked a February vacation to Cancun and I will be projecting my thoughts and enjoying the beach in my head for the next 12 weeks. Some good cigars arrived yesterday and I'll be saving a few of them for the trip. I'll be looking through my humidor and selecting some others for the days lounging on the beach.

In the mean time I'll have to occupy myself with other winter distracting activities.
If I had the time, I could spend forever on the computer pointing out all of the really fake news and lies that are published on social media sites. This comes from both sides and far too many people read, believe, and share false information without checking sources. It is unfortunate that we allow ourselves to become the means for spin artists and politically motivated liars to spread their lies.
Such a task would confine me to my computer indefinitely.

Maybe we all need to be less quick to retweet or share things we haven't checked out. Maybe we should check stories out and call the bs when we see it. I know that most people will not remove posts that have been called out as lies, but at least others that read the comments will know that it is untrue.

It is unfortunately true that I have been guilty of reposting false stories.
I give you permission -- even encourage you -- to call me out for such stories.
If we all become more deliberate in checking out stories before sharing information, perhaps we can prevent ourselves from being the dumbest, most misinformed generation of all time.

I think I'll look for a different distraction.

John <><

1 comment:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

John, I imagine I got burned sometimes too. Peace..be easy on yourself.