Monday, November 13, 2017

Nov 13th; Cold Weather Ride

It is the Monday morning after my first long, cold weather ride.

Thursday I rode about 400 miles from Ozark MO to Metamora IL. It was just above freezing when I left home and upper 30s (3-4C) when I arrived. It did make it into the mid 40s (7C) in southern IL.
Friday afternoon I rode from Metamora to Chicago when temperatures were in the mid 30 range.
For the 500+ mile ride on Sunday, I got the added bonus of light rain for about 3 hours! It was a little warmer with most of the day in the 40s.

My overall assessment of the long cold ride is that it wasn't much different from any other long ride. Although my "cold weather" gear is pretty inexpensive and not really motorcycle cold weather riding gear, I was comfortable. The multiple layers is a little binding when moving around at stops and a pain when you need to pee, but did the job of keeping me warm and dry.

I wore heavy denim jeans, a long sleeved shirt and sweater, and insulated bib overalls. Over that I wore my lined textile jacket and covered it all with my Joe Rocket rain gear. I had waterproof motoryles gloves with an additional liner and waterproof winter boots with heavy socks. I also used the chemical hand and feet warmers for parts of the ride. I used a face and neck fleece with my modular helmet.
All-in-all, it wasn't bad. The rain gear served as a nice windproof layer when it wasn't raining and I wore it all the time.

If I decide that I'll be taking more long winter rides, I may have to invest in some actual motorcycle cold weather gear. For now, what I have is what I'll work with.
I'll continue to ride when the road conditions are suitable throughout the winter months. If it's just a local ride, I won't bother with any more gear than is necessary for a short time out.
If you are an all weather biker and have some tips, I would be grateful for your input. I've been riding for less than two years, so I am still learning. While on this trip, I did pass the 29.000 mile mark in the 20+ months since I got my motorcycle endorsement and bought my '06 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Be safe out there.
And if your driving, continue to watch for old retired guys on motorcycles. Not all of us put them away for the winter!



John <><

1 comment:

Fred A. said...

You are a brave man. I have a 2013 900 Classic. I live in northern Alberta and my bike is put away for the winter. Right now we have snow and below freezing temperatures. Even though I live in this colder climate, I don't ride unless the weather is at least above 10C. I just don't like the cold and only ride when I feel comfortable. I'm retired as well.