Friday, August 20, 2021

The Best Time to Plant a Tree...

I have five acres of former pasture/hayfield. I don't mind mowing it (much), but it does seem to be a huge waste of land. I want to plant trees (both evergreen and fruit and nut trees) and also would like to have a mini solar farm.

When we moved to Missouri several decades ago, I bought tree seedlings from the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDoC). There are some good looking, mature trees on that piece of property now.
I was too late to buy trees from the MDoC the year we moved into our house, and just forgot about it last fall. Purchase dates for spring '22 delivery of tree seedlings begin Sept. 1, 2021. I'll definitely be buying some for spring planting.

The area I'll be using for most of the trees is far from a water source, so I'll have to haul water to the seedlings while they establish their root systems and during dry seasons. I'll need to get a barrel or tank with a spigot that I can fill and haul out there. Fruit trees I'll probably keep closer to the house.
If you'd like to do your part to reduce your carbon footprint, consider ordering several trees for yourself. If you don't have a place to plant them, you can send them to me and I'll plant them for you.
Seriously! I haven't looked lately, but they used to be a very reasonable cost. Let me know if you want me to plant trees for you and I'll send you my address.
Here is the MDoC's website. The catalog of available trees should be up on Sept. 1.  By planting trees, not only am I reducing my carbon footprint with new trees, I'm also reducing the amount of time on my lawnmower!

"The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. (I did that, then moved.)
The second best time is now." (or in the spring) 

If I get some fruit trees and expand my garden, I'm going to have to learn how to can fruits and veggies or buy a bigger freezer. This year's garden as been pretty pathetic, but even so we have had several servings of green beans, plenty of cucumbers, some tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and a few potatoes. There is something special about eating stuff that you've grown.

And as much as I enjoy the produce, I really like watching the bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds around the flowers. I'll definitely be planting more flowers next year and still want to have beehives at some point. 
For today I just need to work on our new landscaping project.

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

Also, https://www.arborday.org/ Send them $10 and they'll send you 10 trees. I'm getting some for fall planting. There's still time.

allenwoodhaven said...

I think that's great! Mother Nature will be very pleased. My former home had lots of trees that I took good care of. Now, at a Townhouse Community, things are different but we have some nice ones, including one just off my patio. Would never want to live without trees nearby.