Monday, August 09, 2021

Poor Timing

It's going to be hot this week.
Of course, it's what one should expect for the Dog Days of summer in Southwest MO.
It's also when perennial plants are half off at Lowes.

Yesterday afternoon as I was walking around the garden center with a cart full of plants, a woman walked by, glanced at the cart, and said, "That looks like work."
sigh

We (Chris and I) tried to beat the heat today by starting the day with a morning walk. It wasn't too early, but earlier than I am usually active. I hadn't even had my coffee yet!
When we got back, I decided that it was a good day to make a large jar (1/2 gallon) of iced coffee. I'll be sipping (or chugging) that while I'm digging up some plants, temporarily repotting them, and tilling up some soil where they (and the new plants) will be going. This will be a multi-day project and will involve several trips to the garden center for various items before its completion because that's how I roll.
Eventually the place will be well landscaped and a beautiful setting for bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Oh yeah, and us too!

It would be nice to hire professionals to do our landscaping, but I'm too cheap for that and I really don't mind digging in the dirt. It is a good thing that I can work at it as I feel like it and take breaks as needed. It has been a lot of years since I had to do manual labor in the heat. I am so thankful for the climate controlled environment and the comfort of the ATC world where I was able to spend most of my working years.

Now it's time to sweat.

John

No comments: