Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Re-set

The months of June and July seemed to fly by this year. I'm not sure where they went, but they have come and gone in quick fashion. Although I know I spent time on the deck nearly every day, I feel a bit disconnected from the view and the world around me as I sit here with my coffee and computer this morning.
I'm in need of a reset, but not sure of how I am to go about it.

I've been less purposeful about meditation and quiet time. I still get plenty of quiet time and I am generally contemplative, but I think that purposeful meditation is necessary for spiritual connection to the world and the people around me.
 
(I have to admit that re-reading what I just wrote causes me to smile a bit. I know that meditation and spiritual connection to the world would disturb many of my evangelical friends. Eastern practices like meditation, tai chi, even yoga, are often associated as practices of the pagan world and demonic in nature.)

I'll figure it out. Maybe some time working in the dirt will help. I'm considering mowing the yard using a push mower. It's cool enough today and I can always use the exercise. I may cut a few flowers from the flower beds and bring them inside. I'm torn between leaving them to grow and bringing some of their color and aroma into the house, but I think I'm going to go for it.

One new habit that has become a part of my morning ritual is setting a half gallon jar of water, along with a large normal tea bag and a smaller Zen tea (green tea, lemongrass, mint) bag out in the sun for our afternoon sun tea. It makes a very refreshing iced tea that we both enjoy in the afternoon and early evening.
I'm going to take care of that now, spend a little time reading, and then get started reconnecting with my yard. I hope that your day is more than just going through the same motions that you tend to go through on a daily basis, and you are able to make connections with the people you encounter, the natural world around you, and the Creator of it all.

John

No comments: