Sunday, August 29, 2021

Following the Sun

I know it is not quite September yet and summer isn't over until 2:20 PM Central Time, Wednesday, Sept 22, when the sun reaches the equator on its southward journey, but it feels like summer is already over. It certainly isn't because the temperatures are cooling. It's been plenty hot here in SWMO, but the days are getting noticeably shorter and the sunrises and sunsets are definitely moving south.

The morning sun now shines into the deck and causes a glare on my computer screen. It does feel good as I start my day and sip on my coffee. The early night sky still shows the summer constellations, but the early morning sky is already showing winter's night sky.
School is back in session and football season is beginning.
Pumpkin spice is back in everything from coffee to beer, so I guess it must be (unofficially anyway) fall.
F*#k!

Yeah, not a big fan of fall and winter.
The best thing I can say about winter is I don't have to mow my lawn.
The cooler temperatures of fall will be nice (when they finally get here) for being able to work outside without being a sweaty mess. I have plenty of yard projects to do.

I know there are a lot of people that love fall.
Why?
Seriously! Help me out here. 
What's so great about shorter days, early nights, and effing pumpkin spice in everything?
Football season? I don't care. Not a big fan.
Leaves changing colors? Yeah, it's pretty. I'm okay with green.
Although I find the astronomical and seasonal changes fascinating, I'm just not a fan of the coming seasons.
Isn't fall a metaphor of things dying and winter a metaphor of death?
Ugh!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help me look forward to fall (and winter).
Tell me what you love about it. 
Tell me why I should love it, too.
And.....
GO!

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

You can come up and buy a Christmas tree from Ted Drews in November. Don't wait until December, they'll all be gone.

Kathy G said...

Stopped over from Mike's place. It sounds like you're confusing fall (which I think is delightful) and winter (which I agree sucks).

In fall I can pick up produce from the grocery store and not have to bring a cooler so it doesn't spoil in the heat as I run other errands. I can step outside without turning into a sweaty mess, and long sleeves and pants means I don't have to slather my whole body in sunscreen.