Monday, August 23, 2021

An Unusual Contemplation

I recently (this morning) took part in one of those Facebook games that will tell you how much of a narcissist or empath you are. I did it because the empath in m has been awakened over the past several years as I have become more contemplative. It would probably be more correct to say that my awareness of my empathetic abilities has been awakened.

Today's contemplation is a bit more unusual than on most days.
Although there are plenty of lunch options at our house, today I chose a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich--all natural peanut butter (on both pieces of bread) and strawberry jelly.
Over the past few weeks, I've had several conversations about the goodness of peanut butter in general and peanut butter and jelly in particular.

I wonder where I would rank among people my age in number of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches consumed in our lifetimes. I wonder how much peanut butter I've consumed in my life. I wonder why others don't recognize the beauty of the nearly perfect food -- peanut butter.
When it comes to living in the moment, a moment that includes peanut butter should be cherished. 

Cheez-It crackers have become a common snack at our house. Dip those suckers in some peanut butter and you have a tasty treat. Everything tastes great on a Ritz, but peanut butter is exceptional. 
It is good, wholesome food that connects you to the Earth and all of her goodness. Peanut butter and apples, peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter and crackers, peanut butter, ham, and a dill pickle spear roll-up, just plain ol' peanut butter, or peanut butter and just about anything.

Other than peanut butter and jelly, what is your favorite go-to peanut butter combo?
Enjoy the present moment -- especially if it includes peanut butter!

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

I don't like peanut butter combos. Nothing like a peanut butter (and jelly or not) sandwich on "fresh" white bread. But don't go mixing with other stuff. I think Reeses is just a good way to mess up chocolate. I could go on and on.