Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Justifying Indulgences

I have been having a problem with justifying (to myself) my personal indulgences. Is this a thing with anyone else?

I wonder about the effects of flying for a vacation. Realistically there is no way to offset the environmental impact of flying to a Mexican beach for a relaxing vacation. I could fill our 5 acre plot with trees and not offset the carbon impact of such a trip.

I spend a fair amount of money on decent cigars to enjoy while relaxing on my deck. Other than the relaxing feeling of enjoying each smoke, there aren't any healthful benefits to justify smoking an exquisite Nicaraguan or Dominican smoke or the whiskey or craft beer that often accompanies it.

I rarely go to ballgames or pay to watch MMA fights, but I do spend untold hours watching overpaid athletes competing against each other in games and events that really offer no substantial benefits to humanity. While I certainly can appreciate the skill and training of athletes, is it really necessary or beneficial to our society?

Do the jobs and income that are supplied by the entertainment of the sporting world justify the money and capitalist machines that are a part of the various industries?
Is it fair that I do little to help others as I sit comfortably on my deck while there is great poverty and need in the community that lives not far from my home?
Is it enough to recognize my privilege without doing anything to help others that aren't as privileged?
Is it okay to say that I've earned what I have and then do and spend as I see fit without caring about the negative impact on the world around me?
Should I be more productive than the retired guy that doesn't do anything more than occasionally buy dinner at a local restaurant or coffee from a local coffee shop?

I have a pretty good, leisurely life and I don't feel guilty about it, but sometimes I think maybe I should. 
Should I?
Should I being doing something to benefit my neighbors?
Should I be helping others to find peace and calm in their lives?
Should I be giving more or working more to bring people out of poverty or despair?
Or maybe I'm doing the best thing for everybody by keeping to myself.

What about you?
Do you feel the need justify your indulgences?
Just wondering...

John  

2 comments:

Mike said...

You should ride your bike to meet your friend at Ted Drews.

John A Hill said...

Yes, I should!