Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Social Justice

Maybe I should say social injustice.
Certainly there are areas of injustice that are more easily seen and identified than others. Black Lives Matter has shined a light on the racial inequities of our police and judicial systems. Same sex marriages, bigoted bakeries, and denominational religious splits have highlighted injustices against the LGBTQ+ community. The difficulties in caring for the unsheltered and food insecure communities during a pandemic have created awareness of our blindness to their struggles.

We currently have several state legislative bodies that are systematically targeting portions of the population with voting rights violations. Our secular society firmly believes in the other Golden Rule--The one with the gold makes the rules!

So how I do I (we) stand against injustice and stand for justice for the oppressed?
A single mom trying to feed her kids doesn't need me to stand in a protest as much as she needs some food, a decent paying job, and affordable childcare.
A black parent might like a mostly white guy demonstrating at a BLM event, but what they really want is for their teenaged son to be able to drive to and from his after school job without fearing that he'll become a police violence statistic.
A gay couple might just want to have the spousal privilege of being with their mate in the hospital, but are denied that by some archaic rule.

Seriously, what can I (we) do?

What are some other areas of social injustices that need to be addressed?
And how do we do that?

The Old Testament prophet Micah gives a pretty concise guide for following God: Do justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God.
I'm afraid the church has failed miserably in all three of these.
I'm afraid I have too.
How do I (maybe, we) fix this?

I'm counting on you to weigh in on this.
I know that I am far too comfortable sitting on my deck with a cold beer, a decent cigar, a keyboard, and some background music (just in case you were wondering about by current situation). If I could change the world from here, I would. But I'm afraid that isn't how changing the world really works.

My honest assessment is that I have been okay with injustice that doesn't touch me. That really isn't very Christ-like, is it?
How do I change that?

John

1 comment:

Grand Crapaud said...

Really nice article!