Saturday, November 27, 2021

New Tech Toy for the Computer Illiterate Old Guy

This is the first Out of My Hat post on my new laptop! It's weird getting used to using the cursor and clicking instead of just touching the screen. The original keyboard to my 2 in 1 had the mouse pad and cursor, but the replacement Bluetooth one that I had been using for a couple of years didn't. Until I get used to this, I'll have a bunch of fingerprints on my screen.

I don't think I've owned a PC since Windows 3.1. I think it had a Pentium processor!
I've had a number of laptops, both larger and minis. The last few have been Chromebooks, which work well for me since most of what I do online is through Google or Google apps. 
To give you an idea of the dinosaur that I am, this is the first full sized laptop I've owned that doesn't have a built-in DVD drive! It is very lightweight and sleek looking compared to my old HP or Compaq computers. The external DVD drive that I used for one of my minis is so old that I doubt it would be compatible with this model. And I guess DVD technology is so far in the past anyway. Most of those things are now streamed rather than stored on discs.

I suppose it is a good thing that I am not so reliant on technology. I'm happy with a cheap laptop, slow wifi, a good cigar and an adult beverage. Actually, you could probably replace the cheap laptop and slow wifi with a good book and a plain old radio with a classic rock station and I'd be just as happy.
As with all of the technology stuff I've owned, I will greatly under utilize its simple capabilities and enjoy it, nonetheless.

John



1 comment:

Mike said...

"you could probably replace the cheap laptop"
But we would miss you!