Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Books

I finished reading How God Works: The Science Behind the Benefits of Religion by David DeSteno. It was read due to the suggestion of fellow blogger and mentoring curmudgeon, Mike
I enjoyed the read as it was my kind of book. The science of how our brains work and respond to different stimuli fascinates me. This was particularly interesting as it examined ritual practices (both religious and non-religious) and their impact on our health and well being. Both the psychology and physiology of belief is pretty interesting. Community (religious or otherwise) is a pretty big deal when it comes to coping with life. 
I'm not sure how I feel about that. I always figured that community is the reason I need to cope with life!

I also finished the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrmann MD. It is good and has some worthwhile information. I'm not strictly following his diet plan, but I am using some of his eating philosophy and science as I move forward with my own lifestyle changes in diet, exercise, and healthier living.
I am currently re-reading The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko. It is the book I read when I began my last large weightloss journey over eight years ago. 

In the fiction category I am on book 3 of a three book modern day vampire series (Don't ask me why). It's weird, but entertaining and passes time in the evening. 
Although I have so many books queued up in my Kindle app, I picked up a David Baldacci book (Daylight) when I was at the library. I've never read anything from him, but have heard of him and he seems to put out a number of good books. If I like his writing, this could mean regular library visits are in my future.   

What are you reading?

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

So did you buy the book or is it library available?

John A Hill said...

Library
Interesting -- my local library didn't have it, so they requested it from the library network. It came from your library -- St Louis County Public Library! I just returned it today so I don't have the branch, but I remember thinking when I got it that it might be the library you would use.