Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Laundromat Blues

Sunday night I went to load our dryer with the load of towels from the washing machine and ...
Sacrebleu! It appears that the bearings on our 26 year old dryer are shot!
I had to find a laundromat open on a Sunday night and a few dozen quarters to dry the towels.
It has been a lot of years since we made regular trips to a laundromat.

It is possible that we could have had it repaired, but the cost of a repair and then still having a 26 year old appliance with a new bearing vs. a new dryer didn't make much sense. Data shows that it had far outlived the expectancy of such appliances. And at 26 years old, I wonder about the availability of parts.

Yesterday we went shopping and bought a new dryer and it will be delivered tomorrow. I may go into the appliance delivery business. One place we checked had an additional $190 dollars for delivery and pick up of the old dryer! We bought the same dryer from a different place for the same price and a much lower delivery fee.
I haven't seen any lonely Maytag repairman commercials in some time, but I hope that this new Maytag dryer will have a similar lifespan to our last dryer (an Amana). It will definitely have a lighter work load. 

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

"an additional $190 dollars for delivery and pick up"
WOW!

Mike said...

I forgot to mention that one time I used a sawzall and cut a dryer up into pieces and threw it in the trash a little at a time. I had a friend that wanted the motor so I didn't have anything heavy to get rid of.