Friday, November 10, 2023

Books

It's been awhile since I posted about books, so I thought I'd throw a couple of mini reviews your way.


The Ballot and the Bible by Kaitlyn Schiess was much different than I was expecting. I was expecting it to be a bash on today's Christian Nationalism and the current state of the evangelical right in the US. 
It isn't.
Rather, it is a well researched and well written history of blending of religion and politics that examines how what we believe becomes who we are both as individuals and as larger communities, even nations. It wasn't a read that catered to my confirmation bias about religion and politics. It was more of a history lesson that teaches the past and reminds us of the effects of our religious/political ties of the past. Whether you are religious or not, this is a good read. I think Ms Schiess is changing the image of theologian from the bearded old white guy to an energetic and educated young woman. Don't walk barefoot around her. She is going to be breaking glass ceilings.

Shameless by Nadia Bolz-Weber. 
I've been following this pastor/author on social media for some time. I love her rebellious spirit and fresh outlook into the scriptures. Her transparency into her struggles in life and how her relationship with God and religion have taught her to love all of God's creatures is inspiring. I'm a little ashamed that this is the first book of hers that I've read and really only picked it up because I saw it at the library when I was looking for something to read.
I will definitely be reading more of her books!
Shameless takes a deep dive into how religion and society has bent the love of God into a controlling text that causes guilt and shame just for being who we were created to be. There is a story of one person that burned her bible -- all except for the four gospels. She said that Jesus never did or said anything to hurt her. She kept and cherished the words and stories of Jesus.
This is a book on learning to love ourselves. Once we've learned that lesson, we are much better equipped to love others.

Both books are well worth your time. 
What are you reading?

John

No comments: