Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Nov 28: Active kindness

One of the things that I really like about The Venues Church is the universal encouragement to actively love our neighbors. The verbal "We love everyone" kind of church is far different from the demonstrative "We love everyone" kind of church.

We have always been a part of churches that were generous in giving and participated in giving programs. Somehow, this is different.

I can't really understand why it feels different.
I don't know if it has to do with motivation to do good vs loving and so good deeds follow, or if there is something else.
I've been blessed to know some incredibly generous people, and still -- this feels different.

Maybe it's just me.
Maybe the change is that I'm being more actively kind and loving.
Maybe the change is that I've decided against being a grumpy old guy and being someone that other people might actually like.
Maybe the change is that I've been the negative, judgmental person and am starting to see people the way God sees them.
Maybe...

For Christmas, our small group adopted a migrant family that was expecting a baby. I say "was expecting" because the baby came early and was born Monday! Yesterday, we all scrambled and were able to deliver diapers, diaper bag, clothing, gift cards, and other necessities to the church for delivery to the family. The scramble to get it done quickly was pretty cool. Group text messages got the word out and coordinated giving and collection of the goods and everyone was genuinely excited to be a part of it.

Active kindness.
It feels pretty good.
Maybe I need to try it more often.

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

Are you going to have to hide the migrants from tRump?