Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Nov 27: No more negative

It is just four weeks until Christmas.

For the next 28 days, I am going to challenge myself not to post or share anything negative or controversial on social media. Since most political news is pretty polarizing, that's pretty much out. And since most news seems to be tied to politics, well...

I have a feeling that I'll be removing several posts after I remember (or it's pointed out to me) my self-imposed restriction, but I'm going to be generous enough to allow myself a little learning time. I'll still allow myself to "like" articles that others have posted and those may show up in followers' feeds, but you'll have to deal with those in your personal settings.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Facebook and Twitter posts aren't going to change anybody's mind about any topic. We have all decided where we stand.
There is enough negative stuff already and you can read the same posts from somebody else's feed.
I'm weary of being a part of the negative and divisive culture of social media.
I still have my beliefs and opinions and may or may not share them. If I do share, it's so that you can know me, not so that I can criticize you or anyone else.

Maybe I'll get around to posting positive, helpful stuff. For now, it's one small step -- no more negative.

John <><

1 comment:

allenwoodhaven said...

Though I'm not on any social media and have very minor exposure to it, I think it's a fine idea. There's so much negativity in the world. We can't ignore it but we don't have to give it an obsessive attention. Remembering to give attention to the positive is vital for the individual, the group, and society at large.

It's completely reasonable to allow yourself a learning curve. To not do so would be an act of negativity!
If you post about it on your blog, I'll be interested to read them.