Saturday, November 10, 2018

Nov 10: Recess

What kid doesn't love recess?

At The Venues Church, rEcess is as much for parents as it is for the kids!
One of the ministries of the church provides a night out for parents of kids with some special needs. The church provides one on one (in most cases 2 to 1) care for the kids with special needs and more of a group care environment for their siblings.
Last night was my first exposure to Venues rEcess.

I didn't really know what to expect, so I loaded my pockets with a few magic effects and just walked around and shared a little magic with the kids and their caregivers. Next time I'll have a better idea of what I can do and will be better prepared. I may even be able to do a little show for the sibling group.
Truthfully, I don't do many shows for really young kids so I'll have to be a little creative in my planning. I have a month to work that out.

So I got to do a little morning ministry with the Breakfast Venues group and evening work with the kids. That's a lot of exposure to people for a guy that prefers to be alone. I did manage some one on one coffee time with my daughter after serving breakfast downtown and an afternoon alone to get ready for the evening, so it wasn't too bad.
Tomorrow morning I'll drop in on the new high school class for observation.

Although I have been out with people this week -- Downtown Venues, Breakfast Venues, a breakfast meeting about Sunday's high school class, and rEcess -- I'm still not doing a lot of real interaction with others. Small talk is pretty easy for this introvert; building relationships is still something I need to work on.
(sigh)

In a few hours I'll be at our monthly writers' group meeting -- more people, more small talk.
I long for a warm beach, a cold drink, a good cigar, and few friends to enjoy the serenity of it all.
Is it too much to ask for?

John <><


2 comments:

Mike said...

I can't remember if I've ever mentioned to you Randy Kalin. He was the St. Louis area Ronald McDonald until McDonald's decided to get rid of all the Ronald's to save a few bucks. So he's now a freelance magician. (He was the go-to McDonald magician. He would train new Ronald's in magic.)
His personal website is here - http://randykalinmagic.com/Home_Page.php - Not much to see here yet which I'm surprised because he's traveling the country working.

He's also a member of The Society of American Magicians - https://www.magicsam.com/members/?id=28603183#

You see more of what he is doing if you google his name.

What's my point here? If you ever wanted to meet him I could try and set something up when a warm day comes by again and you need to ride. (And he's in town.)

John A Hill said...

I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks.