Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Nov 21: Thanksgiving Eve

I know that Thanksgiving Eve isn't really a thing, but I'm wondering if we're waiting on tomorrow to be thankful for our stuff.
I know there will be some great gatherings of family and friends and there will be some incredible feasting taking place. Some will have traditional Thanksgiving fare and other will celebrate with family traditions that encompass heritage and personal preferences. 

Tomorrow will be a different kind of Thanksgiving for us. The kids have other plans and Chris just had surgery on her foot last Friday, so we're going out for our dinner. On the plus side there is no prep work and no clean up. On the minus side there are no leftovers.
It's not our first Thanksgiving at a restaurant. The first time was unplanned. It was thirty years ago and the plan was to go to some friends to celebrate the day with their large family. We were going to have to drive for a couple of hours to get there, but we were young and looking forward to the day. Chris baked a couple of apple pies for our contribution, but when Thursday came around she was very sick and we didn't make the drive. 
We also didn't have a plan B.

Late in the day (evening, actually) she said she felt well enough to venture out and see if we could find something to eat. We ended up at Shoney's. I remember the processed turkey loaf that was half dark meat and half white meat. Chris remembers the square of cranberry jelly! At least we had two whole apple pies waiting for us at home!

We've had so much to be thankful for over the years.
Even though I am spending my Thanksgiving Eve watching the Blues get beat and switching over to TUF now and then, I am doing better at being thankful on a daily basis. I haven't done that gratitude journal thing, but I am being more aware of the people and moments that bless me everyday.

Tomorrow is the official day, but there is no good reason not to be thankful everyday!

John <><

No comments: