Friday, November 09, 2018

Nov 9: Changing the look of ministry

It's been a year since we left our old church. In the past year, most of my ministry opportunities were pretty much the same as they had been in previous years. I did a couple of kids' camps, preached a revival, and filled a few pulpits on Sunday mornings.

Having distanced myself from some of the organizational groups of my past, I expect that the ways and places of service are going to look different this year. When we left our previous church, I was teaching high school boys on Sunday mornings. It looks like I'm going to get to work with high school students, once again. I'm looking forward to helping students find their way as they check out the faith community and try to find their place in society. I've always felt that teaching the Bible helps keep me focused on the path -- the narrow way. I'm looking forward to it.

After I finish my morning coffee (an Ethiopian blend, this morning), I'll be off to Breakfast Venues to serve breakfast to some folks in our community. I've been thinking more and more about people in need lately. The thousands of people that are leaving everything behind to try to find a safe place to live have really grabbed my attention. I feel like I need to find a way to do something to help them or to help those that are living in the community around me.
Most days find me sitting comfortably in my modest home with nothing but a few first world problems to deal with -- an intermittently working furnace at the beginning of winter, wiring issues on my motorcycle, needing to wear a sweatshirt if I want to sit outside and enjoy a cigar, etc.

While I might struggle with what to fix for dinner, I never worry about whether or not I'll have something to eat. I have sweatshirts, jackets, and coats for just about any weather condition that the season might bring and a comfortable home for when it gets too cold to be out. Our modest home is filled with stuff -- more stuff than we need and most of it is stuff that is of little use to most people.
Maybe it is time to do some serious downsizing or house cleaning. Some of the stuff can be sold, some can be donated, some can be throw away.
I think that attachment to stuff is getting in the way of my service to people.

Do you face the same struggles with material things?
How do you keep from accumulating things over the years?
Does stuff keep you from helping others or do you find a way to use it to help others?

Time for me to face the day.

Be well,
John <><

No comments: