Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Ballot and the Bible

I just received the just released book The Ballot and the Bible by Kaitlyn Schies.


I follow this author on X (formally Twitter) and pre-ordered the book from Amazon. I'm just getting started, but the Introduction and first chapter would indicate that it's going to be a good read.

I think I'm going to take my time reading it for a couple of reasons.

First -- for me, non-fiction reads are harder to process when I engage in long reading sessions. Enjoying a book for its story or entertainment value is way different than trying to learn something. I tend to learn better when I learn more slowly.

Second -- I'm underlining and writing notes in the margins as it just seems to be that kind of book. 
Here's an example from the first chapter on the politically co-opted phrase "a city on a hill." 




You should be able to click it to big it. The underlined parts are examples of how we often take things written specifically to certain people of the time or about certain situations of the past and make them about us -- about us as individuals or about us as a nation.

Third -- I'm still short story-ing and I also just received another ordered book on healthy living that I'll be reading through as well.

What are you reading?

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Narcissistic and nationalistic zeroes in on a few people doesn't it?