Friday, August 18, 2023

Exercise the hard way

Some days gardening is hard work. 
Today will be one of those days.

I was given a good size Rugosa rose bush and I need to dig a hole for it. If you've ever tried digging a hole in SWMO clay and rock you know this isn't going to be a fun day. Digging post holes here is work (ask me how I know), and this is going to be a much larger hole.
I asked about bringing a 5 gallon bucket to transport it and was told that a 5 gallon bucket wouldn't hold the root ball. Typically, the transplant hole will be twice the diameter and a little deeper than the root ball. Digging here isn't too bad until you get past the thin layer of topsoil--about 4-6 inches. After that it's swinging a pick and shoveling rock and clay.
Ugh!

Additionally, I bought another hibiscus variety -- hibiscus syriacus, commonly called Rose of Sharon. It's in a one gallon pot so that won't be too bad. The new plants will have plenty of time to root and establish themselves prior to winter. I also have the rose bush that I mowed down. It's regrowing in a pot and I am debating about replanting it this fall or leaving it potted through the winter and waiting until spring. 
Additionally I have a few hibiscus cuttings I'm starting and need to start some hydrangea and peony cuttings, as well.
I need a greenhouse for wintering plants and getting an early start during the spring planting season.
Maybe that needs to be added to the garden list of things I'd like to have.

Well, since those holes aren't going to dig themselves I'd better get started before it gets too hot for a fat, old guy to be doing strenuous work in the sun.

Have a grand day!

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Not much rock here but the clay is like rock when it's dry.