Saturday, August 26, 2023

New Flowers

Yesterday I met with a friend that gave me a great gift -- more plants for the garden.
A few starter plants for the fall and some seeds for the spring.
I put the starters in small pots this morning and have to figure out where I will plant them and make an area for them. Three of them are moon flowers and two are milkweed. 




I'm a bit conflicted about where to place the moon flowers. If you are unfamiliar with moon flowers, they have beautiful, fragrant flowers that bloom at night and close when the sun comes up. 
So...
Do I plant them in the back where I can enjoy them from the deck, or in the front where the neighbors can appreciate their beauty? 
I'm leaning towards the back, but just need to figure out where.

Milkweed has pretty flowers and are host plants for monarch butterflies. Adult butterflies lay their eggs on the leaves and the milkweed becomes the food for the caterpillars that become the butterflies. Between planting dill for the swallowtail butterflies, milkweed for the monarchs, and having plenty of flowers for the other pollinators, we should have plenty of birds, bees, and butterflies.

I'll be moving and expanding my sunflower area next spring. I'm also looking at planting native flowers in different areas of the large field behind us. Natural grassland areas are great for local wildlife, keep soil temperatures a little lower, slow water runoff, and will give me a little less to have to mow. Plus -- they are beautiful!

And I'd love to plant more trees.
Trees are expensive. If you get maple or oak saplings that pop up in the spring let me know. I've got plenty of room for them. New pine or evergreen trees are also welcome. I tell myself that I wouldn't mind walnut or native Missouri pecan trees, but I don't know that for sure. I'd definitely plant them towards the back of the field and in an area that I can get away with leaving uncut when the trees are dropping their nuts.

I might need a greenhouse to keep things growing in the winter months and get plants started for the spring.
Hmmm...

Enjoy some nature today!

John

No comments: