Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Reading

I really haven't been reading much when it comes to book reading this year. I'm not sure why; I just haven't been. Sometimes I feel like reading fiction is kind of like watching TV. Maybe that has something to do with it -- I've actually been watching more TV. 

I suppose that entertainment isn't a bad thing, but I do think that we (American society, anyway) rely too much on being entertained by others vs just doing things on our own. Even our social media time is largely consumed with finding out what others are doing or telling others what we are doing.
Sure, there are both books and shows that are both educational and entertaining, but for the most part even news programs realize the value (as in monetary value) in keeping people entertained while giving them information -- the information they want to hear in a way that keeps them coming back for more.

To get back into the reading habit, I picked up a collection of short stories. It's a Louis L'Amour collection that was on the bookshelf and I'm sure that I've probably read it before. There are some good nonfiction books on the shelf that need to be read, as well as a number of novels. Many years ago I started on Stephen King's Dark Tower series but never made it past the third book. I think I have five, but I'm not even sure of the number of books in the series. Maybe I should start it again. 
While I do like reading an actual book, I have grown accustomed to using my phone and the Kindle App for reading. It's always with me, easy to read without glasses, always has proper lighting, etc. Maybe i should just get a tablet reader or use an old tablet and dedicate it primarily for reading, at least while I'm at home (which I almost always am).

So...
What are you reading?
For those that know me -- Any recommendations or must reads?
Maybe I'll go hang out at the library for a bit. It's still one of the few places you can go and quietly study, read, or just sit and be present without the expectation that you need to buy something in exchange for being there.

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

Claudia wanted a book by Megan Giddings for her birthday. It's a novel called "The Women Could Fly". It's social commentary. I think we saw her do an interview on PBS which is where Claudia got the idea about getting the book.

Bilbo said...

I just finished a fascinating book titled “The Confidante,” about Anna Rosenburg, one of the unsung heroes of modern America. She played key roles in the recovery from the Great Depression, labor relations, industrial mobilization for World War II, the creation of Social Security, and just about every aspect of the New Deal. It’s an amazing story.