Sunday, August 13, 2023

Baseball, Botany, and other BS

This year I purchased a Red Access pass to the Springfield Cardinals, the AA affiliate of the St Louis Cardinals. I've enjoyed going to several games and will probably go this evening. I go to the games by myself and that works well for several reasons.
1)  I can decide at the last minute whether I want to go or not.
2)  I can walk about as I feel like during the game and often end up watching part of the game from the outfield GA area.
3)  I don't feel obligated to talk to anyone.
4)  I can leave whenever I feel like it.

I haven't taken full advantage of the Red Access perks and was in Mexico for a full month of the season, but it has been worth the cost and I think I'll go ahead and get it again for next year. I especially like the day games in the early season when local schools make it a field trip day. Even though I tend to stay away from the areas where the kids sit, it is cool to see kids that get to spend part of their school day at the ballpark. 

     * * * * * 

I'm working on propagating some of my flower garden. I'm starting a few new hibiscus plants from cuttings and looking for some different varieties. My current bushes have pink flowers, so red or white would be great if you are local and feel like letting me have a stem from your plant.
I'm going to do the same with our hydrangeas and peonies. Again, I would love to have more color varieties of peonies.
I didn't think that my rose bush survived the winter and so I mowed it down late in the spring. After being away for the month of June I noticed some new growth from the surviving root and have been trying to nurse the plant back to a decent bush. I dug it up and put it in a pot and will keep it inside this winter and replant it in the spring.  If it is healthy enough to get a clipping start for another plant I will. Again, I would love to have more color varieties, so...
I'm going to need to thin my hostas in the spring, so if you want a few plants, let me know when you are doing your spring planting. I suppose there is plenty of time for them to get established before winter if you want some now. I'll also be thinning and transplanting some purple iris flowers. Let me know if you want some. They tend to propagate quickly so you can have a nice bunch of them in just a couple of years.

I just made a contribution to the Arbor Day Foundation and will be getting some more trees to plant. If you want to make a contribution and don't have a place for a dozen trees, you can send them my way (I have 5 acres and can pick them up if you're local) or opt to have them planted in a forest. The Arbor Day Foundation is one of the few charities that I really enjoy supporting.

     * * * * *

As for other BS...

My daughter in law got me started on a new game on my phone -- Star Battle.
It reminds me a bit of Sudoku and is becoming as addicting. I think it's what you might get if you somehow combined Sudoku and minesweeper. 

Although I still have my daily morning quiet time, I haven't been as purposeful about structuring it as I had hoped to be. I'm not certain that's a bad thing. The time, such as it is, is still pretty good. I have been incorporating some simple tai chi moves into my time and I will attempt to keep that as a regular part of the morning routine.

I also bought some online woodworking plans. 
I think they will come in handy for a few future projects. I'm going to try to start with a few simple things and then work up to more complex ones. 

It looks to be overcast and cooler today with a chance of more rain this evening. Hopefully, there will still be evening baseball, but I think I'll drive the car instead of riding the bike to be safe.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

1 to 4 is an introvert's dream.