Sunday, August 27, 2023

Cooler Temperatures are Here...for a few days

After a couple of weeks of extremely hot, humid weather, we are going to get some relief in the way of cooler temperatures -- at least for a few days.
The 10 day forecast has the daytime highs in the mid to upper 80s through Friday with mid 90s returning for the weekend and next week. Summer ain't over yet, friends, so put away that pumpkin spice crap and hold off on the Halloween decor.

I should probably be taking advantage of the cooler temps to mow today, but I've got all week for that and the Springfield Cardinals have a day game today. I think I'll go ahead and take in the ballgame.

Night time temps will be in the 60s this week, so I may be sleeping outside for several nights.  

Back to the mowing thing --
Not just mowing, but I have some more landscaping/gardening to do. It looks like I'll be getting another plant - a Western sand cherry - from the same friend that gave me the rugosa rose bush. I already know where it's going, but as with the rugosa rose bush, it will mean digging a hole using a pick and shovel.
I also need to prepare a new butterfly garden spot. I'll use it to plant milkweed (for the Monarchs) and dill (for the Swallowtails), as well as zinnias and other flowers that butterflies, bees, and birds seem to love.
And I need to prepare a place for my moon flowers and figure out what to do with the 10 tree seedlings from the Arbor Day Foundation that should be arriving in September.
I may do some seed harvesting this year. I've done that in the past, but not in recent years.

As you can see, there is always plenty to do around the property. Fortunately, retirement gives me the time to play around with it all.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"it will mean digging a hole using a pick and shovel."
Dynamite?