Monday, August 28, 2023

The Sun is on the Move

One of the seasonal change indicators for me is the morning sun. For about a week now, it has moved far enough south that it shines into the deck as it rises. The back of our house faces the SSE and is shielded from the morning sun throughout most of the summer. It feels good in the late fall and winter months, but quickly gets pretty warm here in the late summer. Last night's overnight temperature was cool enough to turn off the a/c and open the windows. I slept on the deck. It's still just 65f (18c) at 7:30, but will make it to 83f (28c) this afternoon. 

I am really not looking forward to the fall and all that comes with it -- like winter!
I do like a good Marzen lager, so the Oktoberfest beers that are coming out now are welcome, but I'm not a fan of pumpkin nor pumpkin spice beers. Most traditional Oktoberfest brews are marzen lagers (German for March) and brewed for release in August (now the eighth month). It's more of an end of summer beer than a beginning of fall beer, at least that's the perspective that I have on the matter. 

Maybe I should mark the sunrise position on the compass rose garden that I have -- spring and fall equinox and summer and winter solstice. I should probably mark it on the calendar or I'll miss it as it happens.

I'm not a big football fan so the start of the NFL season doesn't thrill me.
I don't mind sitting around a fire pit on a fall night, but the deck is more comfortable and it doesn't make my clothes and hair smell like smoke.
I'm more of a shorts and sandals (or barefoot) guy than jeans and boots.
I'm not much of an outdoors activity person. I'm not planning on running or cycling whether it's warm or cold so give me warm. 

Here are some astronomical reminders--
On the night of August 30th (Wednesday) the full moon will be the closest and brightest full moon of the year -- a super blue moon!
Saturn is just past its opposition (the night of the 26/27) and will be the bright "star" near the full moon. With a small telescope (50 or 60mm refractor) you should be easily able to see the rings. Handheld binoculars are tougher, but you might be able to make out what looks like a tiny hat shape. You get a lot of wobble when you look at deep space objects with binoculars. I find that using something to rest your elbows on and holding the binoculars at the lenses helps to minimize the shake.

I hope you have clear skies for the largest full moon of the year!

John

No comments: