Thursday, December 20, 2012

Joy Management

Do you remember my very first post?
No?
Maybe you should read it here. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Joy Management

It's been a long time since I've really thought about purposely spreading JOY. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is sad that a guy that is called to share the Good News still has to be purposeful about spreading Joy.

I know that I preach about God's plan of salvation in Jesus. I know that I'm a pretty positive, upbeat guy. I know that there is real Joy in Jesus.

The thing is this; we (followers of Jesus) don't always give the idea that we are joyful people. Sometimes we are downright grumpy. Sometimes we need to renew the joy that we have in Jesus.
I was thinking that we should make the extra effort--at least for the next week or so--to be joyful and to do what we can to bring joy into the lives of those around us.

There is more than enough chaos, more than enough sadness in our world.
Sadness has its way of working into the lives of those around us. We can help by lending a hand, offering a shoulder, being a friend. We can ease a burden, offer comfort, give love.

Even though the holidays are supposed to be a time of joy, there are many that face them with dread; many that become very depressed. Sometimes the Joy of Christmas is overshadowed by the gloom of life...or death. For every family that lost a loved one in 2012, there will be a stocking that is unfilled or a seat that is empty at the table. Some will face the season alone because distance separates them from their family and friends.

Take somebody out for coffee, invite them to join your family, share your joy. You have enough to spare a little, don't you?

For the holiday season, and for the year that follows, I wish you joy.
Merry Christmas.

John <><




No comments: