Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Is Winding Down...

It is just past midnight on the second to last day of the year.

It's Sunday morning so I'll be in church in a few hours; I hope that you will be, too. 2012 has been a pretty good year for me. I was at four different camps this past summer and had a grand time at each of them. I served as Camp Pastor twice and showed up for a one night magic show twice. I had the pleasure of preaching in a number of churches on Sunday mornings and evenings (including a rare opportunity to preach at Hopedale), preached in a couple of revivals, did a few magic shows for kids programs or family nights and had the pleasure of baptizing one of the kids that made a profession of faith at our kids' camp!

It is such a privilege to be able to talk to kids and hear how they perceive Jesus. Their understanding of God and His love for them always amazes me. In one family at one of the camps, all three of the kids made professions of faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior at camp. That's some pretty cool stuff!

Not everything in life is always sunshine and roses. I was honored by friends when I was asked to officiate at a funeral of a family member. Funerals and weddings are rarities in my ministry and this was only the second time I've done a funeral. It was a very small, intimate ceremony on an overcast and dreary day. The venue was a little country cemetery with a small old chapel. There was no hearse, no professional funeral director, no cemetery personnel. At the end of the short ceremony, it was family members that placed the cremated remains into the prepared grave (that they had dug themselves) and buried them.

It was simple. It was peaceful. I'm glad I was asked to be a part of it.

I'm looking forward to 2013. Chris and I are going to try to make a mission trip with our church to a poor area of the Appalachian Mountains. I also expect that there will be camps, revivals, preaching and magic shows during the year, but I never really know too far in advance.

If you are planning an event and would like for me to be there, please call early. I still have that 40 hour per week gig called work!

Wishing you all a prosperous 2013!

John <><

No comments: