Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Writing -- just to be writing

It's been a few days since I've posted anything. Frankly, I just haven't felt like it. I wasn't even motivated enough to find a meme to post for Monday Motivation yesterday!
It's not like there isn't plenty to write or rant about. I just haven't felt like putting in the effort.
In the past 14 years, 360 days (yes, my 15 yr Blogoversary is in 5 days) the inspiration to write has come and gone pretty regularly. There have been plenty of days that I've talked myself out of hanging it up for good. I need to remind myself that I started writing just to have a place to write and never really cared if others read any of it.
I never expected to find a community of fellow bloggers, nor to have even a few regular readers.

Needless to say -- today's post is going to be a bit boring; just a bit of rambling about what's going on in my life to get in the habit of writing again. Feel free to move along onto something else.

Yesterday I searched the digital archives of my computer to find the beginnings of several book ideas that I've had over the years. There are three first chapters or introductions to books that are stored there.
November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) when writers are challenged to write a novel during the month. I suppose a prolific writer could spill out a novel in a month or less. 
However, someone like me might need some pre-planning , outlining, research, etc., in order to get something actually written. Writers encourage writing. An often repeated quote is -- "You can't edit a blank page."
Maybe this year...

Something unrelated to writing but tied to the past -- Magic!
I haven't had a show in nearly a year and haven't regularly practiced or performed any magic in much longer than that. Through church I have met a fellow mage and may have to brush up on a little card handling and work on some close-up stuff that I never really used in performance, but have always been fascinated by. This could be fun.

Other than that -- it's pretty much the same old, everyday, easy going, life of a retired guy.
I've come to terms with my under-whelming garden and am reading and planning for a better garden next year.
I'm pretty content to work around the yard for a couple of hours and then to chill with a book, a beer, and a cigar for the afternoon. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I've also come to terms with being a non-productive member of society. It's really not a bad gig.
Gardening and working in the yard, reading, contemplating life, enjoying my solitude -- yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal!

I know there are a lot of people that are unhappy with their life. Some of them work very hard to convince others (and themselves) that they are doing okay. Are you one of them?
You know -- it's okay not to be okay.
Find a safe person to talk with. Find somebody that can help you or help you find help.

I just poured my last cup of coffee and I have some daily reading to take care of before mowing the field. I wish you peace for the day.

John


1 comment:

Mike said...

Uh, the meme? Let's don't get carried away now.