Monday, July 05, 2021

Can we talk?

Unfortunately, I fear the answer is -- No, we can't.

This past weekend, we were blessed to be able to spend time with my cousin and her husband. They hosted us at their home when we were back in Central Illinois for the holiday weekend. We were up late into the night discussing politics, religion, and whatever came to mind. It was easy because we are pretty like-minded on most things.

But what about discussions with those that have vastly different opinions? 
Why can't we discuss things with them?

It seems that discussions and arguments are more about winning than about sharing information these days. While we may not be able to persuade others to our way of thinking, certainly we should be able to share the sources of our information and why we believe what we believe and listen to what evidence others are using to make their decisions. It seems to me that all of life is now about winning and losing, right and wrong, us and them. Even our politicians are more about winning for their parties rather than governing for the good of all of us. There was a time when collaboration between political parties was looked on as a good thing. For more than a decade, one party has openly stated that their purpose is to stop any ideas from the other party from passing. 
That's not how government is supposed to work.

The example set in government is working it's way into all aspects of life. We are so at odds with each other -- straight vs gay, white vs black, Christian vs non-Christian, Democrats vs Republicans, rich vs poor, us vs them.
Sacrebleu!

So I am making this open offer -- Let's talk!
If you are local, we can meet.
If you are not, we can call, FaceTime, or chat via text or messaging.
I'll listen to your opinions, but would hope that you will also share how you've come to those conclusions. I'll even go so far as to NOT share my opinions unless you want to hear them.
I'm not interested in convincing you to believe as I do. I am interested in what you believe and why.

Maybe you'd be interested in making a similar offer to your family or friends.
I think it's time that we return to the civility of conversation.
Share this with others or hit me up yourself.
Can we talk?

John  


No comments: