Friday, July 23, 2021

Are You Happy?

This morning I've moved from my usual morning spot on the deck at the back of our house to the covered front porch. Although there is more to see here, the neighborhood is pretty peaceful and so it is still a fine place for my morning coffee and quiet time.

Having spotted a couple of hummingbirds at the petunias right in front of me and at the hibiscus tree in the yard, I'm thinking I really need to get on building those flower beds for the back of the house, as well as expanding the landscaping and flowers in the front.

I'm not to the point where I would call working in the yard enjoyable. I would say that I don't really mind it and I find it somewhat satisfying. I do enjoy looking at the flowers and at the birds, bees and butterflies that they draw. We've been able to eat some produce from my small, pathetic garden and that has also been satisfying.
It would be easy to look at the work that needs to be done and be overwhelmed. However, there is no pressing timeline and I can work on it as time, money, and desire allow. It's all good.

The message at last night's Venues at 425 gathering was the first in a series on happiness. With that in mind, it is difficult not to consider: Am I happy?
You can check it out on the Facebook page here. (As of this time, it hasn't been uploaded to the church website. I'm sure that will happen later today.) Pastor Jodi's Happiness message begins around the 30 minute mark, but do yourself a favor and listen to the music of my friend John first. 

How would you define happiness?
And are you happy?

It occurs to me that one could be generally happy (or unhappy) but have areas of life where they are the opposite. You could be happy with where you live, but unhappy with your current job. You could love your job, but be unhappy in your current relationship, etc., etc.
Is being content the same thing as being happy?
Is being happy a choice? 

Hmmm...?
What do you think?
And are you happy?

John

No comments: