Friday, July 30, 2021

Different Paths

Earlier this week I spent a few hours with some old friends. Reflecting on the discussions of the night in my contemplative morning time, I'm intrigued by the differences in the paths that we each took and how those paths came back together for a few hours after wandering over vastly different courses for nearly 50 years.
This morning finds each of us back in our own worlds and on our own paths. The far reaching strands of the internet's web will keep us in touch, but we are each back our own paths. Perhaps they will intersect again as we wander along. That would be nice.

It is interesting (to me) how the experiences and encounters of our life shape who we are. I know there are people from my past that I will never see again. Some I remember fondly; others are better left in distant corners of my fading memory. 

I doubt that my path is going to take me very far today. I'm back on my deck, drinking my coffee and thinking of re-doing my compass rose/sundial garden. There's a pretty high likelihood that Chris will be the only person I actually see today, although technology does allow me to reach out and interact with others.
There won't be anyone in my basement as I reassemble shelves, nor in my John Deere room as I rearrange and organize stuff. With the exception of walking to get the mail, I don't have plans to go out beyond the edges of our 5 acre lot.
I have beer in the 'fridge, cigars in the humidor, books on my Kindle app, and plenty of work to put off until another day. Why would I need to go out? You reading this post may be as far as my interaction with the world goes today -- and I am OKAY with that!

But for those of you that will actually be crossing paths with others -- How will they remember that interaction? 
Maybe that's something we don't think about often enough. It does seem like a lot of pressure to put on oneself. Hmmm...?

Perhaps our physical paths will cross at some point -- but not today.

John

No comments: