Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lazy, Dreary Sunday Afternoon

It's raining in the Ozarks this afternoon.

It feels like a good day to do ... well, nothing.

I've sent Veterans' Day texts to my Navy brother and Army National Guard (retired) sister and called my dad (Navy). Thanks to any of you readers that have also served in our country's military forces.

Now I'm just putting off working on rearranging the garage clutter so that I can actually get my car into it before the winter sets in. I also have the continuing project of getting all of my magic stuff into place in my room in the basement.

I have also been inspired to make a deliberate effort and regular writing--not just blogging, but writing articles, short stories, devotionals, maybe even a start towards that book that is fighting its way out my head. I always come away from our monthly writers' meetings thinking that I need to write more. This month it's a little bit different, though.

Our guest speaker Ethan Bryan, author of Run Home and Take a Bow, really managed to paint a different picture about writing. For him, writing isn't something that he likes to do as much as it is something that he has to do. It is his calling. I think that I've been ignoring the fact that there is a God given need to write that also resides in me. It's been buried under the things of what I want to do and what I have to do. You have those things, don't you? Things that you are putting off for the day when you have the time for them? Maybe it's time to make the time for writing. I guess that means less time on Facebook and Twitter. I guess it means less time watching mindless entertainment on TV. I guess it means that I need to make good use of the time that I no longer spend watching baseball (only 140 days until Opening Day 2013)!

So in addition to publishing daily (at least for Nov.) here at Out of My Hat, I'm going to work on just writing. We'll see where that takes me.

What is your calling?
Have you been putting off the thing that is inside of you and is struggling to get out?
Have you been telling God, "I don't want that gift. I'm not going to use it?"

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice really -- get busy living, or get busy dying." Shawshank Redemption 

John <><



3 comments:

Mike said...

"working on rearranging the garage clutter"

Hey! What are you doing next weekend?

John A Hill said...

Mike, go back and read that again--I said, "putting off working..."

Mike said...

I was hoping maybe you have forgotten exactly what you had written.