Saturday, November 24, 2012

Black Friday: What does it cost us?

I know that there are many Black Friday shoppers that make a sort of weird sport-like event of the day. For some, the long waiting in lines or strategic planning of which stores to hit when has become a family tradition. Even before this year's early start on Black Friday with retailers starting door buster sales as early as 8 pm on Thanksgiving day, the big shopping day had a way of encroaching on the family celebrations of Thanksgiving.

Okay, so let's just say that I'm not a shopper. I can't say that I've never been out early on a Friday morning to get a good deal for a Christmas present; I have--twice that I can recall, and both times it was before Black Friday became the crazed, crowd trampling event that it has turned into today. Today, I can't think of an item that I would stand in line for hours to buy--at any price. 

And even if the deal saves a couple hundred dollars, is standing in line while others are enjoying family, food and friendship worth the savings? And there are those low wage retail employees that don't get the chance to participate from the shopping/saving side of Black Friday; they are there to serve the greedy masses.

I think the whole thing is pure madness.

But then again, I know that there are not too many people that would drive nearly 4 hrs to get to the ballpark 2 hrs before game time so that you could watch bp, stay for a 3+ hr long baseball game and then make the return drive home (after making the traditional post-game stop at Ted Drewe's)--all after having worked the midnight shift the night before and grabbing a few hours of sleep before starting the day long adventure. 
And yes, I've done that.
More than once.

So I guess we all have our crazy things that most other people don't understand. We'll enjoy those times with the crazy people that are complete strangers, but share our passions. We'll shake our heads in wonder and confusion at those that have their own crazy ideas of good times (like joining frenzied shoppers on a holiday) and somehow, we'll manage to survive in a society that makes room for all of us.

If you are one of the millions of crazy shoppers out there this weekend, well...I think you're crazy. But have fun doing your crazy thing. Be nice to the poor clerks that have to deal you and the others like you. Treat other crazy shoppers with respect and courtesy. Remember, they're one you.

And if shopping isn't your thing, maybe we can meet at Ted Drewe's next spring after a Cardinal baseball game...

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

I actually haven't been to TD in awhile. Now that the temps have dropped below 32 the lines should be shorter.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

John, I agree: Black Friday has gone to excess! The spectacle of a mod scene of people lusting for bargains seems to draw out some of the worst excesses: shopping and football!

I prefer to spend Thanksgiving being thankful.

Enjoying family, feasting, making love, watching television, or other acivities.

Possibly going to church to thank God for the sweet blessings of life.