Monday, December 30, 2019

Going Green

I've been getting better, but I have a long way to go.
We've started some recycling; but we need to do more.

Since this area is NOT progressive when it comes to things like recycling, our personal efforts will become even more challenging when we move to our new home in a more rural setting. Currently there is a recycling center nearby. Soon we'll have to weigh the environmental cost of taking things to be recycled against the benefit of recycling -- one big special trip, or take what we can when it's not too far out of the way.

Another part of going green is using the motorcycle whenever I'm able. I get twice the gas mileage and it's more fun, but I can only carry what fits in the saddlebags or I can strap onto the back. I sure enjoy a nice long ride on the bike, but now I also think about the necessity of that ride and its environmental impact. I suppose I could exchange every mile not driving the car for a mile of pleasure riding, but that becomes more of a carbon neutral thing for personal pleasure than a green thing for environmental benefit.
Truth be told, there will probably be days when Chris will want me to take a day long pleasure ride so she can have the house to herself!

I'll be planting some trees this year (hopefully dozens). That's a big environmental plus.
We also hope to plant lots of flowers for the benefit of the birds and bees, and a garden for our own use. Eventually I'd like to have our own hives.
I've previously written that we plan on using solar power. The property sits high and also almost always has a nice breeze, so a small wind turbine or two is a possibility. (But not the kind that spews toxic gases or causes cancer. 😉)

I'm using less single use plastic and trying to keep a reusable cup for coffee or water handy, and I'm not using straws at restaurants. We gave reusable metal straws to the kids (and us) as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
I try to use my own reusable bags at the grocery store and need to buy some reusable produce bags.

Is anyone else working on being more green in the coming year?
What things are you doing to help heal the earth?

John 

2 comments:

AuntieAllyn said...

Our little country town doesn't offer recycling services, so we're faced with the same dilemma. I try to be conscious about paper consumption and unnecessary automobile trips, but honestly there's a lot more I could do. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my old dead computer . . . there must be some place where it could be recycled.

Mike said...

I think windmills only cause cancer when they're painted orange.