Friday, December 13, 2019

Advent 2019: Dec 13, Day 13

Late morning blog today. I read Luke 13 earlier, but didn't want to rush through posting. I decided to wait until after Breakfast Venues. Now I'm sitting at a local Starbucks and ready to write. I feel a little bad about being at Starbucks, but I have money on gift cards that I need to use. I guess I could patronize local coffee shops when at home and use my Starbucks cards on the road.

In any case we are at the half way point in our daily journey through Luke's gospel.
Luke 13

Today I've kind of combined the summary and my take away.
Here it is.

Once again, Jesus is teaching that we have to change our way of thinking (repent). The consequences of life are just that -- consequences of life. Bad things don't just happen to sinners, and really bad things don't just happen to really bad sinners.
And again, Jesus heals on the Sabbath, teaching that people are more important than rules. And certainly more important than the animals they cared for on the same Sabbath!

Jesus also redefines the kingdoms of God. They (and we) have this idea that the kingdom of God is made up of only the good and righteous ones. But according to Jesus, the kingdom of God includes everyone -- all the birds of the air, all of the leaven in the bread.
We need to change the way we think (repent).

Walking with Jesus isn't easy. And yet he invites us to walk with him anyway.
Jesus laments over those that don't understand that God loves everybody and wants us to love them, too.
We may have to change how we think.
We may have to repent.

John <><



No comments: