Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Internet Isolation

I suppose it is a part of life in rural SWMO.
We are once again without internet service to our home. 

There isn't a good, affordable service available.
Affordable service isn't good, and good service is really more than I want to pay. Truthfully, we don't need it that much. After one and a half years into our two year contract with Hughes Net satellite internet service, we decided that paying the cancellation fee was better than paying for the crappy service. We are back to where we started with our internet service coming from using our phones as hotspots for streaming on the TV or browsing and blogging on a Kindle or laptop.

It's more of a problem for Chris than for me, as she is more of the TV watcher. Also, her Kindle doesn't seem to like the hotspot service and refuses to operate the same as it does with traditional wifi connections. We took a trip into town and used McDonald's free wifi to download a few books onto her Kindle yesterday. For me, it's just a pain when trying to stream weekly fights, but I don't suppose the world would end if I didn't get to watch them every week.

I'm spending a little less time on the laptop and think that will probably result in blogging less often (it already has) as spring progresses and summer nears. That's probably a good thing.

I think I'll just enjoy my morning coffee (I treated myself to a little vanilla and cream this morning) and finish reading my book. I hope your day is as peaceful as mine.

John

3 comments:

Mike said...

I assume you won't be getting fiber anytime soon.

John A Hill said...

There are 18 houses on our mile long street. Fiber exists along the street at the entrance to ours, so does cable.
But neither company thinks it's worth it to put on our street.

John A Hill said...

If only there was an infrastructure bill for rural broadband. Then the uninformed in SWMO could get educated enough to see how things really are.
Then they'd become more liberal and quit voting red. That's why it isn't going to happen.