Friday, April 22, 2022

Earth Day 2022

I'm spending this Earth Day morning enjoying my morning coffee on the deck. I have become much more aware of our home planet and the impact we have on her. I think that's been a part of fewer pleasure rides on the motorcycle over the past few years as well as other behavioral changes.

We (late to the party) have been recycling much more than before. Recycling is sometimes a difficult habit to get into. Recycling in our area isn't a big thing. There are no pick-ups for recyclable items and collection sites can be far. I wonder about the trade off of a 35 mile round-trip in the car and recycling cardboard, paper, glass, cans, and plastic.

I'm waiting for some pines and crape myrtle trees from the Arbor Day foundation. I have another maple sapling to plant and three sprouts from some apple seeds. I'm still hoping for more.
I also have a couple of tiny sprouts from some pine cones that I picked up in Colorado. 
If you have any saplings or seedlings that need to be uprooted, let me know. I have five acres of former pasture that I would love to fill with trees.

We have been doing more grocery shopping at Aldi and using our reusable boxes. I need to get some reusable produce bags to eliminate the need for those plastic bags. When we do shop where the use plastic bags, we save them for donation to a local shelter that has people that crochet them into sleeping mats for the unsheltered community. I'm so bad about remembering to bring reusable shopping bags with me.

We'll try a little more gardening this year. Our garden last year was pretty pathetic, yet we managed a few cucumbers, tomatoes, and green beans. We also had some lettuce, a few carrots and a handful of peppers. Hopefully we'll do better this year. I wonder how much more care my garden would get if we were dependent on a good yield for survival.

What's your Earth Day outlook?
How are you taking care of our home world?

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

I've read where you would have to use a reusable canvas bag 1200 times to make up for one plastic bag. And that doesn't count washing the canvas bag so you don't contaminate food. You can't win at this game.

John A Hill said...

Mike,
But you're not making up for one plastic bag. You're offsetting 1200 plastic bags.