Thursday, April 28, 2022

Aging... not so gracefully

It is really amazing how a little bit of work can make this old body sore. 
The winter inactivity is making itself known as I begin with the spring yard work. I don't even work that hard or for very long.
It's not too bad and I am not in any real pain or anything. It's just that ugh kind of stiff muscles and a little bit of soreness from working muscles that haven't been worked in some time.

And while there is plenty more work to be done, I get a rest day on the gardening stuff today as another round spring shower hits us this morning and throughout the day. I have other work that can be done while the rain falls outside, but there is something satisfying about working outside that motivates me to work so much more than working inside.
Maybe I'll just throw on a sweater, sit on the screened in (and covered) deck, read a book, and enjoy a cigar this afternoon. I suppose I could manage a little work this morning and enjoy an afternoon cigar--I'll have to consider that. 

One small project that could be done on the patio under the deck--I want to build a bird feeder. I have the lumber scrapes and there are plenty of YouTube plans and demos. I'm not much of a woodworking craftsman, but I should be able to handle something that is functional and doesn't look too hideous and frightens away the birds. I also have a couple more bird houses that I need to put up (when the weather permits). Digging post holes in SWMO is a chore. And the cost of a post these days is also a little prohibitive. I have one 4x4 post I can use and I can probably use the opposite side of the post that occasionally supports a hammock. I don't really use it for a hammock too often. 
With the nearest mature trees about a quarter mile away, we don't have much shelter for birds or other wildlife. 

All-in-all, the warmer weather and the spring activity is quite welcome. I don't even mind the associated aches and stiffness (much). Although I did make use of the deck throughout the winter months, I had forgotten how much I enjoy it during the warmer months of the year. Once I get the garden planted and the flowerbeds are growing, I'll be back to my normal unproductive member of society status of consuming a daily cigar and a beer. 

In spite of a little stiffness, I am looking forward to this, my 22,600th day on planet Earth. 

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

The other day I walk up to Walgreens. It's a 15 minute walk. so 30 minutes total. They didn't have one prescription ready so I walked up there again later. The next day it felt like I ran a marathon. It's way past time to do the 30 minutes a day walking routine that we're all supposed to do.