Sunday, October 03, 2021

Watches

Who wears a watch these days?

A couple of decades ago I stopped wearing a wrist watch. I was working (part-time) at Silver Dollar City and wrist watches weren't allowed because they didn't fit into the time era of the theme park. I started using a pocket watch and just never went back to a wristwatch. My pocket watch was replaced by a cellphone.

A recent change in cell phones prompted me to buy a cheap smartwatch to use as a step counter. Counting steps isn't as important to me as it once was and I'm considering shelving the smartwatch, but have gotten used to wearing a wristwatch again. I can continue to use the smartwatch as a timepiece, go back to one of the wristwatches that are in a drawer and just need new batteries, or just use my cellphone as my portable time piece.   

It's funny that an ordinary wristwatch is a bit nostalgic. While still functional, it's not as practical nor as necessary as it once was. Today's wristwatch is more of a fashion accessory than a necessary timepiece.
Do you still wear one?

John

2 comments:

AuntieAllyn said...

I wore a wristwatch every day when I was working. Now that I’ve been retired for almost ten years, I only wear a watch when I leave the house for an extended period of time. My husband wears a wristwatch all the time, even in the shower I think.

Mike said...

I quit a long time ago. Remember the metal twist-o-flex watch bands? That's what I typically wore with my watch. Well, I was working on some telephone equipment and reached into the back of a large cabinet. Suddenly I heard every relay in the cabinet drop. One big click. Then my wrist started hurting. I pulled the watchband away and the big hurt turned into a little hurt. I let the watch band go, big hurt again, WTF!
What had happened was I had shorted out +36v and -36v on the power supply. It heated the watchband up so hot that it welded three of the links together and burned the hell out of my wrist. I still have a scar from that day. That day that I quit wearing wristwatches.