Tuesday, June 01, 2021

On the Road Again

June is here and will be a month of many road miles. I'll be back in Chicago on Thursday (about 550 miles), then on to Metamora (130 miles) on Friday. There will be some local miles as I take my mom to a few places and visit a few people. We'll be coming back to the Ozarks on Monday (400+ miles). Towards the end of next week, I'll be meeting my sister and transferring our mom to her place for a short visit there (about a 400 mile round trip for my part). Then I'll do that again to pick her up (400) and then the 800+ miles to bring her back to Metamora and return home to Highlandville.
All of that will be followed by an 800 mile drive (probably the moving truck) to Colorado Springs as I help Hannah and Daniel with their move. That's a lot of driving!

Chris will meet us in Colorado Springs and we'll spend a week there. We'll help the kids get settled and check out a few of the sights before flying home at the end of the month.

I don't mind the time on the road. Most of it will be solo; some of it will be with my mom in the vehicle.
Solo drive time is cool. Sometimes I listen to music. Sometimes I don't. I'll listen to a baseball game if the Cardinals are on, or maybe play a TED talk or two. I'm also very comfortable driving without the added input of the radio or internet. The voices in my head are generally good company.

I'm wondering what other people do to occupy their time when on long, solo drives. 
What do you do? Call someone on the phone? Listen to music or podcasts (something I haven't really done much)? Contemplate life's great mysteries and your place in the world? Listen to audio books?
What do you do?

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

It's been a long time since I've driven solo anywhere. Years ago I drove to Dallas a couple of times for training. It's an 11 hour drive. Two 15 minute stops for snacks and gas. Back then it was just me and the radio. I was always searching for new stations.